Do You Know How to Wash Hands Properly?
Bird flu, pig flu, germs in the toilet….all these have helped fuel a paranoia about germs, but do you really know how to wash hands properly? In the chemist, at the airport and even at the supermarket checkout we see the seductive little bottles of antibacterial gel that promise to kill almost everything….what the heck…I can buy peace of mind for a Dollar or a Euro! However, those impulse buys, that are easy to catch since everybody is afraid of being “dirty” or “catching germs”, have created a huge industry that feeds on our fears. According to a recent article in the Guardian the US market for hand sanitizer products is predicted to have grown to a staggering $402m by 2015. Read on to find out what these products are, do we need them and of course learn how to wash hands properly.
Dirt is a Marketing Dream!
From an early age we are brought up to believe that “clean” is good and “dirt” is bad…cleanliness is next to Godliness! Our modern society has an intrinsic fear of dirty public lavatories….hospital door handles and other peoples suspect personal hygiene. However, we are quite happy to let our dog lick our face straight after it has spent a “happy hour” shoving it’s nose up the bums of all the other dogs in the neighborhood during it’s afternoon walk. Your pet cat buries it’s poop with those lovely soft paws and then dashes straight back into the house to stand proudly on your kitchen worktop before spending 10 minutes to lick it’s bottom clean….after which it then spends an hour licking itself all over at which point you give the pooch a friendly stroke for being such a lovely clean animal. The reality is that no matter how much time you spend cleaning…and regardless of which products you use…your pets are working 24 hours a day to spread bacteria throughout your home, and over you! So we have a fear of dirt but calmly ignore the most obvious sources…..this is a marketing dream! How to wash hands properly?….of course you are going to need to buy some nice modern products to do that! Enter the Anti-Bacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer!
Dirt is Big Business and a Marketing Dream...you feel dirty just reading the label!
The History of Anti Bacterial Gel:
This modern “fashion accessory” now found in most lady’s handbags and on many office desks started out as a really useful product for healthcare professionals….and these are people who really know how to wash hands properly!
Laura Barton reports in a Guardian article on Hand Sanitizers that “in 1966, a student nurse named Lupe Hernandez first dreamed up the idea of hand sanitizer. The story goes that Hernandez realized alcohol delivered through a gel could clean hands in a situation where there was no access to soap and warm water. Recognizing the commercial potential of her idea, she duly called an inventions hotline she had heard about on television and set about registering the patent.”
This is now the "designer" way to wash your hands! Can you hear the cash registers ringing?
This is of course a great invention since it uses simple and cheap ingredients to achieve a high level of hygiene where normal soap and water is not available. It was designed for professional use by hospital and healthcare workers….not for putting on the corner of your desk as a status symbol to declare your own “Clean Zone“. How to wash hands properly…well you MUST use the same stuff that everybody else does otherwise people will think that you are dirty… Don’t worry, read on and you will find that there are alternatives!
Five Reasons Not to Wash your Hands With Anti Bacterial Gel:
Laura Barton in the Guardian describes the downsides of these modern chemical ways of washing you hands…..for a start most of these products contain more alcohol than a Tequila Slammer….
Read the full article here:
Hand sanitisers: saved by the gel – Link to the Article in the Guardian
- The Anti Bacterial Gel products are expensive….there are effective alternatives that are almost free
- The Anti Bacterial Gel products were originally developed for professional use…
- The effectiveness tests have been carried out on flat surfaces…not on human hands which contain a mixed flora of good and bad bacteria that naturally provide some protection
- The Gel contains alcohol which can be purchased and drunk by Children and this also removes all the natural oils as well as the beneficial bacteria
- 99.9% effective might sound good but bacterial colonies contain billions of bacteria so that 0.1% leaves a lot hanging around!
Take a look at these ingredients - more alcohol than a Tequila Slammer!
How to Wash Hands Properly the MeanyGoat Way:
So keep your money in your pocket, ignore the marketing hype, don’t take any notice of what all the trendy dudes are doing! Take a deep breath and switch on your common sense. How to wash hands properly? Well, with soap and water of course!!! Here is a free frugal alternative to the bottle of Anti Bacterial Gel:
- Collect the small free bars of soap that are given away as samples at the chemist or you get in hotel rooms
- Save an empty 0.5 litre water bottle
- Refill the bottle from the tap and you can have a quick rinse anytime you need it
Learn How to Wash Hands Properly with your own FREE kit!
That’s all you need for you own free kit that will enable you to wash hands properly.
Learn to Avoid the Risks:
Carrying round your own soap and a small bottle of water is both easy and practical…learn how to wash hands properly when you are out and about. Just shake your hands dry since towels can be a great source of bacteria…so along with good hand washing you also need to learn how to avoid the most obvious bacterial risks in the first place. Here is a checklist to help you:
- Avoid shaking hands with people unless you really have to – this is just common sense!
- In a public toilet and at your workplace the most contaminated things are likely to be the door handles and the actual taps. Try to find ways to avoid touching these with your hands…particularly try to avoid touching the door on the way out eg use your elbow to open it or wait for somebody else!
- When you have a cold or flu try to keep yourself to yourself to minimize the spread to others…this is called being considerate! Equally, cover your mouth & nose when you cough or sneeze.
- Learn to avoid touching your mouth and face all the time….hand to mouth infection can keep bacteria recycling for ages…and you will feel terrible!
- Think about those pet cats and dogs. Not only can you get an allergic reaction from the pet hairs but they spend their time pooping, playing with poop, licking their own genitals and then spreading the bacteria all over their coat. Do you really want to stroke a dog turd or a cat turd?
Learn How to Wash Hands Properly and You Will Notice the Difference in Your Health:
Take a Frugal Tip from the MeanyGoat: Apply common sense to your personal hygiene rather than adopting the latest fashion and throwing money at products that you do not need. Learn to avoid risks of bacterial contamination in the first place and them keep your hands clean with sensible washing. Remember that over washing using any method will remove the natural oils from your skin as well as the beneficial bacteria and will leave your hands dry, cracked and vulnerable. Learn how to Wash hands properly and you will notice that you are healthier having fewer stomach upsets and not so many colds. Give it a try and save some money at the same time!
Print This Post